Sunday, September 10, 2006

New things are no good.


Me? I'm just Some Bloke who's sick and tired of things that are new. It was Steve McQueen who said in his final film, The Hunter , "New things are no good." I consider myself to be old school in many ways; others might just consider me to be a grumpy old fart. Hey, I'm not that old!

Anyway, I like old stuff: old books, old toys, old houses, old guns, old cars, old planes, old songs, err... younger women... yeah, I've got a young wife. I consider myself lucky in that respect; even luckier, I suppose, that she's willing to put up with me. She's got gorgeous long red hair... perhaps some of you know her. We do "travel" pretty-much in the same circles.

Back to the old stuff: I like guns. Any of you "anti's" out there might claim that an unhealthy interest in firearms is an indication of certain, shall we say... "inadequacies..." elsewhere (glancing downward). Shortcomings, if you will; trying to compensate for a lack of masculinity, ad nauseum.

FIRST of all, I don't really care what anyone thinks. I'm not so insecure as to try and impress people, and I'm most certainly not insecure in my masculinity. Neither is the Wife Person, BTW. All you would-be ANALysts can just stand down. To quote a well-known pioneer of psychology: "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." (Sigmund Freud)
Before you try and analyse me, you may want to take a long look in the mirror.

The idea that Liberals tend to be hoplophobic can easily be illustrated by their apparent irrational belief that inanimate objects hold spirits that can effect human actions. After all, if we ban all guns, then there will be no more crime, right? Guns are dangerous by themselves, no matter who has them. We'd all be a lot safer if only there were no guns! Well, it seems to make sense to some people.

This reminds me of the time when a liberal co-worker commented to me, "I don't know why you need all those guns. I think you should get rid of them." I let it slide, at least for the time being. Arguing with a Liberal can be very frustrating, especially when they resort to personal attacks and dismissive rhetoric. Later on, right after 9/11/01, the same guy came up to me and said, "Gee, if anything else happens now, I know whose house to go to!" I replied, "Why do you say that?" He said, "Well, because of all those weapons you have!" With a straight face I said, "What weapons? You told me that I didn't need them, and that I should get rid of them, so I did." How quickly the tables turn when the perceived need arises.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home